- Ordinances & Permits
- Door to Door Solicitation
Door to Door Solicitation
All transient merchants, their agents, representatives, and employees must be 18 years of age or older and be registered with the Village of Menomonee Falls as a transient merchant. This is governed by municipal ordinance.
Exemptions to the provisions of the municipal code include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Any person delivering newspapers, dairy products, bakery goods, or fuel to regular customers on established routes
- Any person selling merchandise at wholesale to dealers in such merchandise, any persons selling agricultural products which the person has grown, or any employee or agent of a charitable organization who engages in direct sales on behalf of the organization
Door to door sales at residences are generally restricted to the hours between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday, or by appointment, and are prohibited at any dwelling or any other place where a sign is displayed bearing the words "No peddlers, no solicitors"title="Door to Door Solicitation," or words of similar meaning.
Also prohibited is calling at any door but the front entrance of any dwelling place or remaining on any premises after being asked to leave by the owner, occupant, or any person having authority over such premises.
Failing to clearly display, on his or her person, the identification badge or tag issued by the Village Clerk is a violation.
After the initial greeting, and before any other statement is made to the perspective customer, a transient merchant must expressly disclose:
- His or her name
- The name of the company or organization he or she is affiliated with (if any)
- The identity of merchandise or services he or she offers to sell
It is unlawful for any transient merchant to misrepresent or make false, deceptive or misleading statements concerning the quality, quantity or characteristics of any merchandise offered for sale, the purpose of his or her visit, his or her identity, or the identity of the organization he or she represents.
Residents who are experiencing problems with door to door salespersons can call the police department who will then investigate the legitimacy of the seller, ensure that proper permits have been obtained and generally enforce the provisions of the municipal ordinance. Violations should be reported to the police department at 262-532-1700.
For more information, please refer to the Chapter 70 of the municipal code