Weapons means and includes all instruments and devices used for the purpose of propelling bullets, shot, arrows or other missiles, either by explosion, compression, tension, gas, spring or any other means, and shall include, without limitation for lack of specific enumeration, all forms of guns, rifles, air rifles and air guns, revolvers, bows and arrows, slingshots and other similar type of equipment or device capable of propelling such bullets, shot, arrows or missiles through the air by reason of discharge there from.
No person shall fire, discharge or use any weapon as defined above at any time or place within the village except as follows:
- A duly authorized peace officer in the performance of duty.
- On a rifle, pistol, trap, skeet or archery range authorized by the village board.
- The discharge of blank cartridges in a firearm suitable for their safe use when utilized as a starting signal device at competitive events, or as a prop in a stage performance, or as a gun salute as a special function at a parade, funeral or other ceremonial occasion.
- The use of a weapon for hunting game birds and animals under licenses issued by the state department of natural resources pursuant to Wis. Stats. §§ 29573, 29.574.
- The discharge of a firearm as defined by Wisconsin Statutes § 167.31(1)(c), or bow and arrow under a valid permit pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes § 29.885 and issued by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources under Administrative Code Chapter NR 12 regarding Wildlife Damage and Nuisance Control. The discharge of a firearm will be limited to sharpshooters designated and authorized by the chief of police, under a firearm discharge permit for the village. The chief of police is authorized to promulgate guidelines for the purpose of ensuring the public peace and safety.
- Guidelines to ensure public safety may include; demonstrated proficiency with the firearm to be discharged, direction and trajectory of bullets, type and caliber of firearm, and minimum distances from buildings or other designated zones such as parks, schools, hospitals, or other locations.
- Limitations on the discharge of a firearm or bow and arrow under this section will be specified on the village permit authorizing the discharge.
- The discharge of blank cartridges in a firearm suitable for their safe use when utilized in connection with the training of hunting dogs under a license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes § 169.20.
- The use of a weapon for hunting game birds and animals as defined in section 62-91.
- Except as provided in this division, this section shall apply to county parks lying within the village.
- The use of a weapon for hunting game birds and animals in compliance with the remainder of this division 3 and Chapter NR 10 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code.
- A person acting in self-defense consistent with Wisconsin Statutes § 939.48.