Browse through our timeline pages to learn about the history of the MFFD.
Please note that terms "fireman" and "firemen" are used throughout these pages to be historically accurate. To be more inclusive and to better reflect today’s fire service, we transitioned to the use of the gender-neutral term “firefighter" many years ago.
- 1894 to 1929 - Starts with the first meeting of Menomonee Falls Volunteer Fire Company No. 1.
- 1930 to 1946 - The new Municipal Building that was our home for the next 85 years through the war years.
- 1947 to 1956 - The post-war years through the last of the Town of Menomonee/Village of Menomonee Falls years.
- 1957 to 1971 - 1957 was a transitional year for the Village of Menomonee Falls and the MFFD.
- 1972 to 1998 - The era of the first full-time Fire Chief.
- 1999 to 2008 -
- 2009 to 2019 -
- 2020 to Present -
Learn about specific historical eras using the tabs below:
The Menomonee Falls Fire Department has had 25 Chiefs throughout its history, with the last five being full-time. As you will notice, some served more than once, as this used to be an elected position.
The Evolution of equipment
The MFFD had 2 Mack-Marion tankers with open jump seats, one of which was later converted into a heavy rescue unit.
Tailboard riding officially died with the 1992 version of NFPA standard 1901 which said all firefighters must be seated and belted when a truck is in motion. This brought about a new era of fire apparatus design.
Chief Fulcher worked with the Marion Body Works Company to obtain our first fully engine with a fully enclosed crew compartment. The 1986 Mack-Marion engine had front seats for the driver and officer and enclosed rear-facing seating for three firefighters. All positions were equipped with seat belts. Marion Body Works displayed the new MFFD engine at the FDIC Convention in Indianapolis. The MFFD purchased several additional Mack-Marion vehicles.
Please visit our Apparatus page to learn about the equipment currently in use!
Emergency Medical Services History
It is believed to have started from burning materials in the incinerator, igniting the wood shingle roof of the main structure.With little or no water to fight the fire, firemen and residents could do little but watch it burn.In an effort to save contents and records, a young man, Elwood Burkhardt, was severely burned. His rescue was fast, he even walked to first aid, but 36 hours later he died.
This school was located on Main Street in what is now an the open area behind North Middle School.
1924-Baer Block Building Fire
On September 19, 1924, the Baer Block Building at the four corners was destroyed by fire. The Police Chief and two firefighters were injured. This was located at the site currently occupied by Centennial Plaza.
1946 Held's Cafe and Bowling Alley Explosion
On July 26, 1946, a terrific blast caused the most disastrous havoc in the history of the village and many escaped death or injury. A terrific gas explosion, heard for miles, shook the entire village and completely destroyed Held's Café and Bowling Alley. Glass was shattered from windows on many nearby businesses, and Caesar's Plumbing and Heating, next door, was blown from its foundation and totally destroyed.
1956-Bert Phillips Ballroom Fire
1967 Fatal House Fire
1969-Falls Cleaners Fire
1979-Holiday Cup Fire
1983-Westbrook Lanes Fire
1991-Honey Bucket Fire
1993-Memories on Main Fire
2003- Fatal House Fire
2021-Tamarak Swamp Fire
Many citizens have served The Menomonee Falls Fire Department since it was incorporated on June 19, 1894. Our Honor Roll lists those who have accumulated fifteen or more years of service.