What do I need to do when selling a vehicle I own?
You must sign the title over to the new owner and indicate on the title the mileage at the time of the sale. It is also a very good idea to create a bill of sale dated and signed by the new owner. The Division of Motor Vehicles also provides a Statement of Vehicle Transfer (MV2488) for this purpose. Completing this DMV form will help eliminate your liability if the new owner fails to properly register the vehicle. These forms are available at DMV Service Centers and at our department.

Show All Answers

1. When I buy a vehicle, do plates stay on the vehicle or stay with the previous owner?
2. What do I need to do when selling a vehicle I own?
3. May you put your vehicle license plates in areas other than the designated area?
4. Do I have to display a front license plate?
5. What types of vehicles don't need front license plates in Wisconsin?
6. When I buy a vehicle from another state, how do I register it in Wisconsin? May I drive it home?
7. If l buy a car in Wisconsin and want to register it in another state, how do I get it home?
8. After I buy a vehicle, how many days do I have to register it in my name?
9. I lost my title and now I want to sell my vehicle. How do I go about it?
10. I've recently moved. How do I notify DMV of my address change?
11. I just bought a vehicle from a private party and I want to sell it. Do I have to register the title in my name or can I sign over the original title?
12. I want to transfer my title to my son. How do I do that?
13. I lost my renewal notice? What do I do?
14. How do I renew my license plates?
15. What do I do with a vehicle I can’t sell or no longer want?