In 1844 there were only 100 settlers in Menomonee falls, As the population increased, they incorporated as a village in 1892.
By the year 1894, the citizens of the village realized that fire protection was imminently needed since there had been fire losses experienced in previous years when there was only a "bucket brigade." On May 30, 1894 a special meeting of the Village Board was held to decide on the organization of a volunteer fire company.
At the Village Board meeting of June 11, 1894 a motion was made to accept the proposition for a #4 Combined Chemical and Water Engine from Howe Truck and Engine of Indianapolis, Indiana. A second motion was made to elect John Huebner Chief of the Fire Department. Eight days later the first meeting of the Menomonee Falls Volunteer Fire Company was called to order. They then changed their name to Menomonee Falls Fire Company No. 1 and adopted a constitution and bylaws subject to amendments and election of officers.