As the weather warms up so does people's desire to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Bicycling is popular and Menomonee Falls has several parks and the Bugline Trail that residents and visitors can take advantage of. However, this means the motoring public needs to share the roadway with these bicyclists when they are on the roadways. There are some helpful hints for both riders and drivers to ensure everyone's safety. Some helpful hints and reminders regarding bicycle operation within the Village is good information to share.
- Bicyclists 13-years or older shall not operate a bicycle on the sidewalk.
- Those bicyclists who do use the sidewalk or a bikeway shall yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Bicyclists should give an audible signal when overtaking pedestrians on the sidewalk or bikeway.
- Bicyclists and motorists need to obey all traffic laws, signs and signals.
- Motorists need to give at least three feet of space when overtaking a bicyclists on the roadway.
For more on our area parks and trails: Parks & Trails Inventory | Menomonee Falls, WI - Official Website (menomonee-falls.org)
See attached poster courtesy of Wisconsin DOT regarding safe biking practices WisDOT Safe biking practices (wisconsindot.gov)