What if my sewer backs up?

If you experience a sewer backup, call the Sewer Utility at (262)532-4850 or the Department of Public Works at (262) 532-4200. Please call the Menomonee Falls Police Department at (262) 532-1700 if the emergency occurs after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays, Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays. We will dispatch a maintenance crew to your address to determine if the stoppage is in the Village main or your sewer lateral. If the Village main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a plumber or sewer / drain cleaning service to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure to and into the Village sewer main. If the blockage is in the Village main, we will fix it as quickly as possible and keep you informed of what is being done.

Show All Answers

1. What is the village’s responsibility regarding private sewer laterals?
2. How do I locate my lateral?
3. What if my sewer backs up?
4. What about the mess?
5. What is MMSD and what does it do?
6. If I notice a foreign substance flowing into a storm drain inlet, whom should I call?