Swimming Pools

Before You Apply

It is important to contact the Zoning Department while planning your project to confirm setback requirements in your zoning district.

If you have a private sewage system, you must also contact Waukesha County for a Preliminary Site Evaluation (PSE) before you can receive a building permit from the village.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have regarding your project.

Requirements for Zoning Permit Application & Permit Fee

Above-Ground or In-Ground Pool permits may be applied for in-person at Village Hall Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 4:30pm, mailed to Village Hall to the attention of Engineering & Development, or may be applied for online using the Village's permit portal at this link HERE by selecting "General Building Permit Application."

A complete application will contain the following:

  • Completed Application for Zoning Permit
  • A survey of the property, showing all existing structures, location of proposed pool, decking and fencing, if required, and overhead or underground electrical wiring
  • Two copies of pool construction data and depth
  • Fees for Swimming Pools can be found here.


In-Ground Pool

Electrical bonding inspection
Final inspection for electrical wiring and fencing prior to pool use
(fencing - location, height, self closing and self latching)

Above-Ground Pool

Electrical wiring and bonding inspection prior to pool use

Temporary Pool

Electrical wiring prior to pool use

To guarantee your inspection when needed, we require at least 24 hours notice.

Additional Information

There are many safety issues to be considered when installing a pool, whether it be above-ground, in-ground, or temporary.

WE Energies has guidelines which must be followed. If your project requires digging, be sure to call Wisconsin Diggers Hotline at 800-242-8511.

Please review the Municipal Code, Chapter 18 Article VIII Swimming Pools for regulations related to fencing around pools, drainage, public water supply, and gaseous chlorination systems.

Electrical Permit Required

The provisions of the latest edition of the National Electrical Code Article 680 apply to the construction and installation of electrical wiring for equipment in or adjacent to all swimming and wading pools, whether permanently installed or storable, and to metallic appurtenances in or within 5 feet of the pool, and to the auxiliary equipment, such as pumps, filters, and similar equipment. Therefore, an electrical permit (PDF) is required for all pool installations.

Temporary Swimming Pools

A building permit is not required for storable temporary swimming or wading pools which are constructed so that they may be readily disassembled for storage and reassembled to its original integrity as long as they meet all the following criteria:

  • The pool is located in the rear or side yard and meets the appropriate zoning offset
  • The pool is 20 feet or less in diameter
  • The pool is removed by October 1, and installed after May 1 of each year

However, as noted above, an electrical permit (PDF) is required.