Storm Water Utility Fee - 2024
The Village’s storm water management system prevents flooding, improves water quality, and complies with state and federal regulations. Due to the rising cost of maintaining the storm water management system, a Storm Water Utility Fee is being implemented starting in the first quarter of 2024. The user fee was determined to be the most equitable approach to storm water management versus a property tax increase.
The Village’s monthly Storm Water Utility Fee is $5.74 per Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU).
One (1) ERU fee is charged per single family home, and other properties are charged based on the amount of impervious cover that they contain. Impervious cover is calculated based on the total area of hard surfaces like rooftops, driveways, parking areas, patios, and pathways on a property. Properties with more hard surface areas create more storm water runoff, and they are required to pay larger storm water fees (based on the number of ERUs that have been calculated).
ALL property owners with impervious surfaces (even those owned by tax exempt organizations like public schools, universities, churches, and other nonprofits) will receive Storm Water Utility Fee bills for months starting with January 2024.
Responsible Rate Structure:
- $5.74 per month or $68.88 per year per Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU)
- Mid-range compared to other local communities with Storm Water Utility Fees
- All single-family residences pay one (1) ERU and the other properties pay based on impervious cover
- Invoices for the Storm Water Utility Fee are sent out on a quarterly basis
How is the ERU value calculated?
The ERU value was calculated by averaging the impervious surfaces of single-family residential properties in Menomonee Falls. The measurements included the footprint of the home plus pathways, patios, driveways, garages, and any other buildings.
Calculations for ERU values are made using aerial imagery and computer software to determine impervious surface coverage. They will be updated as new developments are constructed in the Village.
- 1 ERU = 3,725 square feet = the average impervious surface of a single-family home
Storm Water Utility Fees are itemized and included on the quarterly utility bill.
An appeal form is available to property owners that believe the impervious surface area and/or equivalent residential unit (ERU) calculation for their property is incorrect. Property owners should also use this form if storm water fees have been assigned to a parcel they do not own.
- Please complete all sections of this form, except for the section marked “Village Use”.
- Attach all supporting documentation to the form.
- Submit the completed application form and all supporting documentation to:
Village of Menomonee Falls
Attention: Director of Public Works
W156 N8480 Pilgrim Road
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
***** NOTE: Submitted documentation will not be returned to the owner. *****
For Additional Information - view the Storm Water Utility Presentation (PDF) that was shared at the Village Board in 2023.
Questions about your bill? Call Utility Billing at 262-532-4800.