Main Street Reconstruction - Phase II
- Reconstruction of the Main Street and Appleton Avenue intersection
Reconstruction of Main Street for the first time since the early 1990s
Creation of six concrete bump outs which add to existing sidewalk space
Creation of a mid-block crossing to the public parking lot in front of North Middle School
Striping of two new crosswalks with short crossing distances
Installation of raised tree planters and landscaping to add greenery and soften the appearance of the street
Addition of new street furnishings including benches, bicycle racks and trash cans
- The Village will install temporary signage alerting motorists of the pending project and detours prior to the start of construction.
- East-west traffic flow on Main Street is intended to be maintained for the duration of the project.
- All turning motions at the intersection of Main Street and Appleton Avenue will be prohibited while the intersection is being reconstructed.
- Turning motion detours for the Main Street and Appleton Avenue intersection are yet to be determined, but will be clearly indicated with temporary signage while the intersection is being reconstructed.
- Mill Street and Hoyt Drive will remain open to traffic throughout the project to ensure access to businesses and homes along Main Street.
- Upon project completion, the existing traffic pattern will be restored on Main Street.
- On-street parking spaces along Main Street between Hoyt Drive and Appleton Avenue will be unavailable for the duration of the project.
- Mill Street and Hoyt Drive will remain open to traffic throughout the project to provide access to public and private parking lots and on-street parking in the vicinity of Main Street businesses.
- The new mid-block crossing will improve public access to and from the Main Street public parking lot in front of North Middle School.
The Main Street Reconstruction Project fulfills recommendations from the adopted Village Centre Master Plan (2010) and the adopted Village Centre Parking Plan (2016). This project also supports the Village’s adopted Community Vision for "A Thriving Revitalized Historic Village Centre" as stated in the 2015 Comprehensive Plan Update. The project is being completed in three phases.
- Phase I – 2017: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Grand Avenue and Water Street
- Phase II – 2018: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Hoyt Drive and Appleton Avenue
- Phase III – 2019: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Appleton Avenue and Grand Avenue
For information about this project contact Gabe Gilbertson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262) 532-4277