Bad / Worthless Checks
Investigation & Prosecution of Worthless Check Cases
In an effort to assist you in dealing with problems related to worthless checks, the Menomonee Falls Police Department has prepared this packet of information and forms. If, after reviewing this material, you have questions or problems that are not addressed, you may contact a detective for assistance by calling 262-532-8700
To be eligible for an investigation the following criteria must be met:
- You have sent a certified letter to the account holder informing them of insufficient funds and demanding payment within five days.
- A valid State of Wisconsin identification and/or photo I.D. was recorded on the check.
- No third party, out of state, post-dated, or rent checks can be handled by the police.
There are 3 different procedures depending on your loss:
- Follow the FELONY procedure if the check is in an amount of $2500 or more; or, if a series of checks from a single source written within a 90-day period equal or exceed $2500 when added together.
- Follow the MUNICIPAL procedure if the check or checks amount to more than $1000 but less than $2500 from a single source written within a 90-day period.
- Follow the Waukesha County District Attorney's procedure for all checks that amount to less than $1000 from a single source written within a 90-day period.
Forms & Steps
When you follow the procedure utilizing the attached material please be sure to follow all the procedural steps and complete all of the forms.
Complete all of the criteria of the Worthless Check Packet (PDF) or pick one up at the Menomonee Falls Police Department Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Questions & More Information
If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the police department.
Your cooperation will assist us in properly handling your case.