Operating While Impaired

First Offense
Citations for first time OWI offense are heard in municipal court. If you plead guilty or no contest, the court is legally obligated to:

  • Find you guilty
  • Impose a forfeiture and state-mandated costs and assessments of $735 - $974
  • Revoke your driver’s license 6 months to one year
  • Order you to attend Alcohol Assessment
  • Order an Interlock Ignition Device(IID) if you were a Refusal or over a .15 BAC 

If your license is revoked you may be eligible for an Occupational License. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for more information.

Jury Trial
If you are charged with Operating While Impaired or with a blood alcohol concentration greater that .08% and enter a Not Guilty plea and it is your first time offense - you have a right to request a jury trial. This request needs to be made within 10 days after entry of a plea.  If this is not done you lose your right to a jury trial but are still entitled to a Court trial before the Municipal Judge.

If a jury trial is requested, the Municipal Court will transfer the case to the Waukesha County Circuit Court. There is a $36.00 fee made payable to Clerk of Court.  The Circuit Court Clerk will then notify you of your jury trial date. Please contact the Court at (262) 532-4370 for more information..