Main Street Reconstruction Phase I
The Phase I project cost is $533,200. The project is being funded by the 2017 Curb and Gutter program and by State monies which the Village received in 2016 when the jurisdictional authority (and maintenance responsibility) of Main Street was transferred from the State of Wisconsin.
- Resurfacing of Main Street for the first time since the early 1990s
- Creation of six concrete bump outs which will add to existing sidewalk space and enlarge outdoor seating areas
- Creation of 12 parallel parking stalls on the Main Street Bridge
- Striping of three new crosswalks with shorter crossing distances
- Installation of raised tree planters and potted annual planters will add greenery and soften the appearance of the street
- Addition of new street furnishings including benches, bicycle racks, and trash cans
Phase I Construction Timeline
The project is scheduled to begin on July 17th, 2017, and it is expected to be completed by mid to late September, 2017. The completion date for the project may vary depending on weather and unanticipated construction challenges. Trees, plantings and street furnishings will be installed following the completion of the concrete hardscape.
- Starting Monday, July 10th, Main Street will be closed to between Appleton Avenue and Pilgrim Road to heavy truck traffic. Trucks will be rerouted in both directions along a route which includes Pilgrim Road, Menomonee Avenue, and Appleton Avenue.
- Starting the week of July 10th, the Village will install signage alerting motorists of the pending project and detours.
- Starting Monday, July 17th, Main Street will be closed between Water Street and Grand Avenue to west-bound traffic which will be re-routed north along Water Street, west along Roosevelt Road, and then south along Grand Avenue back to Main Street. This detour will remain in place for west-bound traffic for the duration of the project. Main Street will remain open to east-bound traffic (excluding trucks) for the duration of the project.
- Mill Street and Grand Avenue will remain open to traffic throughout the project to ensure access to businesses and homes on Main Street.
- Upon project completion in September, 2017, the existing two-way traffic pattern will be restored on Main Street.
- Starting Monday, July 17th, on-street parking spaces along Main Street between Grand Avenue and Water Street will be unavailable for the duration of the project.
- Mill Street and Grand Avenue will remain open to traffic throughout the project to provide access to public and private parking lots and on-street parking in the vicinity of Main Street businesses.
- Creation of new parallel parking stalls on the Main Street Bridge will result in a net gain of parking spaces along Main Street in 2017.
The Main Street Reconstruction Project fulfills recommendations from the adopted Village Centre Master Plan (2010) and the adopted Village Centre Parking Plan (2016). This project also supports the Village’s adopted Community Vision for "A Thriving Revitalized Historic Village Centre" as stated in the 2015 Comprehensive Plan Update. The project will be completed in three phases.
- Phase I – 2017: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Grand Avenue and Water Street
- Phase II – 2018: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Appleton Avenue and Grand Avenue
- Phase III – 2019: Roadway reconstruction with bump outs and planters between Hoyt Drive and Appleton Avenue
For further information about this project contact Gabe Gilbertson at firstname.lastname@example.org (262) 532-4277